Sec. 14-4. Golf Carts and Recreational Off-Highway
(A) Golf Carts- and Recreational Off-Highway Vehicles as defined and qualified herein shall be allowed on city streets under the conditions as stated herein.
1. A “Golf Cart”, as defined herein, means a vehicle specifically designed and intended for the purposes of transporting one or more persons and their golf clubs or maintenance equipment while engaged in the playing of golf, supervising the play of golf or maintaining the condition of the grounds on a public or private golf course, as defined by Section 5/1- 123.9 of the Illinois Vehicle Code.
2. Recreational Off – Highway Vehicle, as defined herein, means any motorized off-highway device designed to travel primarily off-highway, 64” or less in width, having a manufacturer’s dry weight of 2000 lbs. or less, traveling on 4 or more non-highway tires, designed with a non- straddle seat and a steering wheel for steering control, except equipment such as lawn mowers, as defined by Section 5/1-168.8 of the Illinois Vehicle Code. 3. “City Streets” mean any of the streets within the boundaries of the City of Henry, Illinois.
(C) All persons wishing to operate a golf cart or recreational off-highway vehicle on the city streets must ensure compliance with the following requirements;
1. Any person who operates a Golf Cart Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle on a street, highway, or roadway shall be subject to show proof of current liability insurance.
2. Must obtain City of Henry permit as specified in paragraph D hereafter.
3. Must display City of Henry decal on the rear of the vehicle.
4. Must have a current, valid Illinois driver’s license issued in his or her name by the Secretary of State. Must have a held valid driver’s license for a least two years and must be at least 18 years of age and be able to operate a Golf Cart or Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle upon any street, highway, or roadway.
5. No Golf Cart or Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle may be operated on a roadway unless, equipped as follows:
(a) brakes and brake lights
(b) steering wheel apparatus
(d) rearview mirrors
(e) approved “slow moving” emblem on the rear of the vehicle (625 ILCS 5/12-709)
(f) red reflector warning devices in the front and rear
(g) headlights that emits a white light visible must be illuminated when in operation
(h) tail lamps that emits a red light visible from at least 100 feet from the rear, brake lights which must be Illuminated when in operation
(i) a Golf Cart or Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle shall have its headlight and tail lamps lighted at all times as required by Section 12-201 of the Illinois Vehicle Code
(j) windshield or eye protection
(k) air horn of 250 feet hearing distance
(l) requirement of a lap seat belts for the driver and passengers
(m) any additional requirements which may be amended To 65 ILCS 5/11-1428 or the Illinois Vehicle Code.
6. Must obey all traffic laws of the State of Illinois and the City of Henry
7. Must be operated only on city streets, except where prohibited
8. Must not operate on State Highway 18 (Third Street) or State Highway 29 (University Street. Crossing will be prohibited at the intersection of State Highway 28 and State Highway 18
9. Vehicle must not be capable of exceeding 25 mph and must observe posted speed limits.
10. A person operating or who is in actual physical control of a Golf Cart or Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle as described defined herein on a roadway while under the influence of alcohol, other drug or drugs, intoxication compound or compounds or any combination thereof its subject to Section 11-500 through 11-502 of the Illinois Complied Statutes (5 ILCS 5/11- 500 through 11-502).
11. Golf Carts or Recreational Off-Highway Vehicles may not be operated on streets and highways and roads under the jurisdiction of the Illinois Department of Transportation (State Highway 18 (Third Street) and State Highway 29 (University Street), except to cross the street or highways at approved intersections.
1. No person shall operate a qualified Golf Cart or Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle without first obtaining a permit from the Chief of Police as provided herein. Permits shall be granted for a period of one (1) year due on the first
(1st) of May of every year. The cost of the permit is $50.00. There shall be no Proration of the permit fee for partial year permit. Proof of Liability Insurance coverage is to be provided to the Golf Cart or Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle must be inspected and approved by the Chief of Police or by a designated person
2. Every application for a permit shall be made on a form supplied by the City of Henry and shall contain the following information:
(a) name and address of applicant:
(b) name of liability insurance carrier and policy number:
(c) serial number, make, model and description of golf cart or Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle;
(d) signed waiver of liability by applicant releasing the City of Henry and its employees, and agreeing to indemnify and hold the City harmless from any and all future claims resulting from the operation of their Golf Cart or Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle on the City of Henry streets. A copy is attached as Exhibit A.
(e) photocopy of applicable liability insurance coverage card specifically for the Golf Cart or Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle to be operated pursuant to the permit;
(f) photocopy of valid drivers license
3. No permit shall be granted unless the following conditions are met:
(a) vehicle must be inspected by the Chief of Police or designated person to insure that the vehicle is safe to operate on city streets and is in compliance with this Ordinance and with the State of Illinois Vehicle Code.
(b) applicant must provide evidence of insurance in compliance with the provisions of the Illinois Statues regarding minimum liability insurance for passenger motor vehicle to be operated on the roads of the State of Illinois
4. The City of Henry may suspend or revoke a permit granted hereunder upon a finding that the holder thereof has violated any provision of this Ordinance or there is evidence that permit tee cannot safely operate a qualified Golf Cart or Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle on the designated roadways. (Ord. #1672- 08-18-14, Ord, #1668, 04-21-14)
(E) Violations: Any person who violates any provision of this ordinance shall be guilty of a petty offense and shall be punished by a fine of $150.00. Any second or subsequent offense shall result in the revocation of the permit fro a period of not less than one (1) year nor more than three (3) years. To extent that any violation of this ordinance also constitutes a violation of a criminal statue of the State of Illinois, then the violator shall also be subject to criminal prosecution
(Ord. #1576, 05-17-10)